[SailfishDevel] A probably stupid question

dep dep at drippingwithirony.com
Mon Oct 22 17:27:07 UTC 2018

Hi, everybody . . .

A few days ago I posted here looking for a webapp framework, and I'm
starting to think I asked the wrong question.

I think I'm looking for source for the most basic of web browsers, that can
be modified to become a ProtonMail application. I think it needs to be
gecko-based because while I can log in to the ProtonMail webmail page via
the Jolla browser, I can't with either Web Pirate or Webcat. I have no
idea why, except that with the Jolla browser I can enter in the login
information and it gets accepted by ProtonMail, while both of the others
throw an incorrect login information error.

The idea would be to produce a lightweight browser with the
protonmail.com/login page hardcoded. But wait (as they say on television
ads) there's more: I'd hope to add notifications, preferably via daemon in
the same way that we can get texts without the Messages app being open,
and a proper download path for attachments and such -- the Android app
that sorta-kinda works wants to dump studd into ~/android_storage/Download
instead of just ~/Download. (This last is a minor thing -- I could make
~/android_storage/Download a symlink to ~/Download, though that's a
kludge.)

In that I haven't the slightest idea how to do any of the above (except the
symlink), I hope to avoid reinventing the wheel. So I hope there's a very
basic browser out there that can be hacked rather than my trying to
reinvent the wheel with little knowledge other than wheels being round.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks!
--
dep

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email. Because privacy matters.