[SailfishDevel] Route media sound stream to FIFO

Michael Fuchs michfu at gmx.at
Thu Feb 1 17:16:29 UTC 2018

Hi,

I built snapcast for SailfishOS [2]. Snapcast is a "Synchronous multi-room
audio player". [1]

Everything works as expected now. Next step is the integration into Sailfish
user experience. It should be simple to create a GUI, which starts/stops the
snapclient.

But I don't know how to solve the server part of snapcast. Snapserver reads
audio data from a FIFO buffer and broadcasts it to the network.
Creating a pulseaudio FIFO sink is clear to me. Either you write it into the
config file pulse audio config file or load it via pacmd:

	$ pacmd load-module module-pipe-sink file=/tmp/snapfifo sink_name=Snapcast
	$ pacmd update-sink-proplist Snapcast device.description=Snapcast

But how do I route the media streams from the default sink to the FIFO-sink as
soon as snapserver is running? (Like when you plug in a headphone or connect
to a bluetooth device.)

Thanks for any advice.

cheers, Michael.

[1] https://github.com/badaix/snapcast