[SailfishDevel] Harbour compatible background apps?

rinigus rinigus.git at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 14:57:30 UTC 2017

Hi,

actually, systemd daemons are also compatible with Jolla Harbour. There are
limitations that you have to follow, but its possible to make and publish
Jolla Harbour app that can be used as a daemon. The example of published
app/daemon is OSM Scout Server. While it can be used as an app, it can be
configured to run as a socket activated systemd daemon (systemd, thank you
for this excellent way to provide such service!). All configuration works
from the app as well, no additional scripts need to be run by users. The
limitations that you have to follow:

* all systemd interaction should be done as an ordinary user (nemo in our
case). Hence, you could run your daemon as a user's own daemon. Not a
limitation in my case

* you can provide only one executable in RPM which has to be an app. In my
case, its resolved by running as a regular QML app normally and as a
service only if specific command line options are given.

If you want to provide it as a background service, I would suggest to make
enabling / disabling from the app. That would make it easier for users to
use it.

Cheers,

Rinigus