[SailfishDevel] Screenshot DBUS API privacy issue

Dylan Van Assche dylan.van.assche at protonmail.com
Fri Jun 16 05:30:10 UTC 2017

Hi Jolla,

While playing around with the several (on)official DBUS API's on Sailfish OS I discovered that the Screenshot DBUS API is free to use on the SessionBus.
It's handy for some applications to access this API but it doesn't show a notification when using it (like you see when you hold both volume buttons).
With this API it's possible to take screenshots of the screen while an application is running without notifying the user itself and invade the user it's privacy.

I think the notification should be showed in all cases to avoid these apps (which are not in the wild as far as I know at the moment), or the API must be restricted.

Cheers,
Dylan Van Assche