[SailfishDevel] SQLite linking

E.S. Rosenberg es.rosenberg+sailfishos.org at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:17:25 UTC 2017

Though I have not done this myself yet 2 observations based on your mail:
1. Removing it from the dependency spec is bad (unless you statically link
see point 2), though it is currently widely used by system applications and
3rd party applications alike you can never know if in the future someone
decides that some other technology is replacing it and is great, if you did
not declare "I need sqlite3" then it will just be removed and you'll be
left scratching your head why your application stopped working.

2. Though attractive from the point of view of making your application
self-contained as you point out yourself static linking will result in a
lot of unnecessary bloat and also force you to maintain that part of your
application rebuilding/publishing every time a vulnerability is found in
sqlite3 plus that there is really no valid reason to install a new copy of
sqlite3 for every program installed.

Is the automatic checker not allowing it through with sqlite3 as a
requirement? Are you sure that you used the packagename used on jolla
systems for the requirement?

HTH,
Eli