[SailfishDevel] Long term TCP connection

E.S. Rosenberg es.rosenberg+sailfishos.org at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:00:17 UTC 2017

The only scenario where you can say "I expected longer times" with any
certainty is wired LAN where both parties are on the same switched LAN and
there was no significant load on either party or the switch.

The moment you're dealing with wireless signals you added so many things
into the equation that can mess up your connection that a continuous
connection of a half hour that is only being kept alive with the occasional
ping is very nice.
Depending on the settings if the connection is such that you require more
then one ping/keepalive to be lost before it is torn down that may help it,
this basically requires you to know what the settings are on the serverside
stack of how long it is willing to maintain an idle connection and setting
your ping/keepalive to be x times more often then the window where x is a
nice balance between the phones' battery usage and keeping the connection
alive.

With Whatsapp it's really just an "allow this android service to run at
startup" as far as I understand things, how/if that exists for Jolla
applications I don't know.

HTH,
Eli