[SailfishDevel] [Official Announcement] Join the Sailfish Community Device Program now!

Timur Kristóf timur.kristof at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:56:16 UTC 2016

On h, 2016-05-30 at 23:48 +0200, Ruediger Schiller wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 09:32:32PM +0300, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> >
> > Talking about the size, if Jolla has any influence on the size of
> > 3rd party
> > vendors can you please influence them to shrink a bit?
> > Even the size of the Jolla 1 is too large for proper single handed
> > use,
> > swiping from the opposite side of the thumb holding the device is
> > almost
> > impossible which kind of defeats the purpose of gesture based
> > interaction....
> Sorry for hijacking this thread but this needs to be commented as it
> is so
> frustrating that I consider buying another phone.

I'm generally okay with the size, as long as it still remains
pocketable. Agreeing with the hardware keyboard though. That is still
something I would like.

> How about merging the good things from the 1.0UI back into 2.0 and
> make pages
> work upside down (important things in bottom half?!).

Yep, that's a good idea.

> The 2.0 UI only works on
> the Tablet as you use that mostly two-handed. The phone with buttons
> to reach on
> top like the settings-shortcuts in eventsview was also horrible in
> 1.0ui
> settings... The whole thing needs to be reworked, eventsview settings
> pulled
> from bottom and events history upside down (for example).

Actually, in my opinion, the whole event view is pretty dumb in its
current form. It is a definite step up from 1.0's notifications view
though (which was totally useless).

If it were up to me, I'd make the event view into something much more
customizable, maybe even add the ability to develop plugins that could
show some personalized content in there. The weather widget is
definitely a step in the right direction.

> Just from reviving my N900 two weeks ago and booting my Jolla with
> 1.0UI made me
> wish for a merged 1.0+2.0-upside-down UI and a device with proper h/w
> keyboard.

As a guy who also revived his N900 in the near past, I have to agree
with this too.

Unfortunately, it looks like hardware keyboards are no longer 'trendy',
at least (apart from Blackberry) I haven't seen any vendor
manufacturing such devices anymore. (As as aside, maybe Neo900's "step
2" could be something to look for, in this regard.)