[SailfishDevel] Sailfish OS Open Source Community Collaboration Meeting 2nd of June 2016

Chris Adams chris.adams at jolla.com
Thu Jun 2 02:06:05 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I will try to be at the meeting tonight, but I cannot promise (it's held at 11:30 pm in my timezone).

A couple of the questions relate to areas I am involved with, so I'll try to provide some information in case I don't make it to the meeting.  If you have any follow up questions or discussion, feel free to contact me directly via email or on Freenode IRC (chriadam is my nick).

1) Contact Note details.  This is tracked internally by JB#14734.  As you mentioned, it's supported in the backend, but not in the People app UI.  It was on going to be part of the apps overhaul which was planned prior to the financial difficulties last year, and since then this has fallen off the radar.  It requires design input, because you can have multiple Note details in a single contact.  I've just pinged our lead designer in the bug report again, in case he can fit it in sometime soon.

2) API to access Calendar data.  Correct, currently we don't provide access to calendar API in Harbour.  The reason is that we want to use QtOrganizer as the public API, but to do that we need to write a QtOrganizer engine backend for mkcal (note that one already existed in QtMobility days, which is open source, so we can potentially adapt that one with relatively little effort.  Help with that effort would be greatly appreciated).  Eventually, I'd like to develop a QtOrganizer backend directly in sqlite, for performance and maintainability reasons (mkcal has several design and implementation problems, in my opinion), at which point QtOrganizer can become the platform API (not just the 3rd party API).

3) Email app development.  Yes, you're absolutely right that the Email application hasn't received much development effort since Valerio unfortunately left.  Yes, I would personally like to see it (along with other apps like Clock, Notes, and Calendar) opensourced.  No, I don't know what the status of the opensourcing discussions with the Board Of Directors is, so I cannot give a roadmap for that possibility.  However, the "engine" of the email application is already open source (except for the Exchange/ActiveSync plugin) - we use QMF (Qt Messaging Framework) for email handling.  See https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/qmf and https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/messagingframework etc for that stuff.  Speak to Matt Vogt (mvogt on Freenode IRC) for code reviews etc.

In general, the Sailfish OS wiki has been updated with a lot of information about the various software components which make up the Sailfish OS stack (including links to the open-source repositories), so you should be able to find most of the information you need to help develop these components, from reading https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Core_Areas_and_APIs and the drill-down links from that page.

Finally, I don't know much about Bluetooth, but I know that we're looking at updating to Bluez 5 right now (development is currently ongoing to port the Qt stack across, possibly by using the KDE bluez-qt wrappers), so it's possible that the tethering issue will be addressed as part of that, with the new stack - but again, that's not my area so I might be incorrect.

Cheers,
Chris.