[SailfishDevel] Resolution-independent in-app icons

Osmo Salomaa otsaloma at iki.fi
Wed Jul 20 20:27:59 UTC 2016

Hello,

SFOS has standard sizes for application launcher icons and Silica has
stock icons, whose sizes (I assume) vary by device, but how should I
handle custom in-app icons, e.g. a position icon in a map application,
so that it would look right on different pixel-density screens?

I tried using a large PNG or SVG and having QML scale that to one of the
Theme.iconSize* constants, but the result of such downscaling is not
smooth, even when using Image's smooth=true. Additionally the QML
documentation says there's a possibly significant performace cost to
smooth scaling. This implies that I'd need different size PNGs on
different devices and show those 1:1 without scaling.

So, is there some SFOS image resizing script I can run on RPM's
post-install to generate the right size icons from SVGs or large PNGs?
Or should I just roll my own solution that packs in icons of different
sizes and loads the closest match at runtime?

--
Osmo Salomaa <otsaloma at iki.fi>