[SailfishDevel] Touch to sound latency?

ioan.camil.bancioiu at gmail.com ioan.camil.bancioiu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 08:47:12 UTC 2015

Hello,

I would like to create an app that will simulate a musical instrument, like a piano or drum-pad, and I am interested in finding a technique that will produce sounds after tapping on the screen, with the lowest possible latency.

I tried something in pure QML: a SoundEffect element was played on the "onPressed" event of an element on the screen. While the latency of this approach is not bad at all, it would be even better if the sound could come with a smaller latency after tapping.

I know Sailfish relies on PulseAudio for sound, and JACK doesn't make sense here, so the minimum latency will still be noticeable.

Should QSoundEffect react faster if I use C++ for sound? Maybe using SDL instead of Qt/QML will make the application react faster to touches?

Thank you!