[SailfishDevel] Workflow for co-development for desktop / sailfish silica

Mohammed Hassan mohammed.hassan at jolla.com
Thu Oct 22 16:25:58 UTC 2015

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 15:43:46 +0200
TE <yurumi at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> until now, my development workflow consists of coding and
> subsequently testing on the device or emulator respectively. Every
> cycle takes quite some time. Is there a neat way / architecture for
> co-developing for the desktop and Silica UI. The aim would be to do
> most of the coding / testing with the desktop target and switch to
> the emulator / device for the Silica UI.
>
> I would be grateful if anybody could share his/her experiences or
> workflow!

There are multiple tips if you are using Linux AND you don't care
about QtCreator:
- I use a multi-tabbed terminal. The first tab has emacs (console not
  X11) editing code. Once I am done with the code, I switch to the 2nd
  tab.
  The 2nd tab is a tab dedicated for typing 1 command: sb2 make && scp
  <whatever> phone:~/app_test_dir/
  The 3rd tab is a phone ssh session where I just ^c and rerun the app
  to check it.

- Sometimes I edit QML code on the phone and restart the app to check
  but you have to be capable of tolerating vi (The editor on the phone).

- C++ engine is easily testable on the desktop. Not a big issue IMHO.

- You can try installing Silica on the desktop especially that there
  are now x86 binaries. This can speed up your development. I have not
  done that so I unfortunately cannot help here but it should be doable.

HTH

Cheers,