[SailfishDevel] Introducing the Jolla Tablet Developer Device loan program (Pilot)

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Fri May 29 08:44:06 UTC 2015

As for the timing, Well, yes, I suppose tablet specific programs will
start coming out in earnest next fall.
But if as I think most devepers are programming their apps as a hobby
or a side work, I doubt this will slow them down much. I expect to be
able to work on my application a bit more (or rather, a bit! I have
not been very active I am afraid).

What I find a bit puzzling is the availability of the SDK -- What is
the reason to restrict it so much? I understand it is not to be used
for programs to release for the current Sailfish/phone, but letting
people try out their programs in an emulator could mean a few more
applications running correctly on day T-day one. Just labelling the
SDK as beta and warning that things are subject to change should be
enough to keep things under control.

What am I mising?

Cheers,
Luciano

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Zoltán Lutor <zoltan.lutor at gmail.com> wrote:
> "we will ship a number of loan devices to selected developers by the end of
> June" - hmmm...
>
> Tablet was planned to be released in May, some delays already confirmed
> (without new target date) and now we see only selected developers will get
> early access to the device&SDK "by end of June"...
> July is almost no-work-period in Finland thus nothing can be really expected
> before Autumn... :-(
>
> Please, prove me wrong! :D

>> It's an interesting question! I back it up!
>>
>> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Andrey Kozhevnikov
>> <coderusinbox at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you, cool news. What about developers, who backed tablet on
>>> indiegogo?
>>>
>>> 29.05.2015 12:52, Iekku Pylkka пишет:
>>>
>>> Ahoy,
>>>

>>> Here’s text version from today’s blog post about Tablet Develor Device
>>> Loan Program Pilot, you can check full version from:
>>>

>>> https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-developer-device-loan-program-starting-soon/
>>>

>>> Jolla Tablet Developer Device loan program starting soon
>>>

>>> From the launch of Jolla smartphpone, to the opening of Jolla Harbour [0]
>>> (accepting apps to Jolla Store), to the recent introduction of the Jolla
>>> tablet [1], our community members have asked for a Developer Program they
>>> can participate in. This demand for a Developer Program certainly did not go
>>> unnoticed!
>>>

>>> Already about a year ago, we introduced the community beta (cbeta) group
>>> as an endeavor to collect feedback from our community. We take this
>>> opportunity to thank our cbeta members for making this a success by giving
>>> us honest feedback on how each release candidate is perceived!
>>>

>>> In addition we’ve been paving the road for a smoother developer
>>> experience every step of the way. Some of our efforts have included:
>>> accepting more APIs for Harbour, regular Sailfish OS and open source
>>> collaboration meetings, renewing Sailfish OS portal at sailfishos.org [2],
>>> and also bringing the missing Silica documentation [3] back.
>>>
>>> Introducing the Jolla Tablet Developer Device loan program
>>>

>>> We are now ready to take the next step in our Developer Program, and
>>> pilot a developer program for the Jolla Tablet! We have decided to make the
>>> pilot phase invite-only, to keep the program focused and manageable as we
>>> start it off.
>>>

>>> We aim for an Unlike Developer Program, fitting the unique needs of our
>>> community. The developers who will be getting their personal invitations
>>> within the next few weeks are hand-picked based on their technical
>>> contributions to Sailfish OS. These are active community members (including
>>> current cbeta members), and we trust that they will provide appropriate
>>> feedback during the pilot to serve the program expansion in the future.
>>>

>>> What we are piloting now is the Jolla Tablet Developer Device loan
>>> program. Within the program we will ship a number of loan devices to
> [...]

Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams