[SailfishDevel] Mono for Sailfish - round #2?

Bob Summerwill bob at summerwill.net
Thu Jun 18 07:23:36 UTC 2015

>> In this context a bind of Xamarin.Form could be really interesting to
catch developers attentions
>> and allow for easy app port for the many that are using that technology
(and this day seems a lot).
>> Michele

I asked Xamarin about that last year.   Whether there was an opportunity
for me to build Xamarin.Forms support for Tizen/Sailfish with their
help/co-operation.   The answer was no.

Xamarin.Forms is a pure commercial offering from Xamarin, which is built on
top of Mono, which is open-sourced on some platforms and closed on others
(iOS and Android).

Getting a Xamarin.Forms for Tizen/Sailfish would not be binding project.
It would be a reverse-engineering product.   End-users would need to
include some core assemblies in their application which they could only
obtain if there were a Xamarin paying customer.    And for the
Sailfish-specific Xamarin.Form bindings we would need to reverse-engineer
how the platform-specific assemblies for Xamarin.Forms are built, and then
make one for Sailfish.

So while this is technically possible, it is not something which Xamarin
would support and it is something they would actively fight in all
likelyhood.   And it might be a lot of work.

As you say, though, it would be damn sweet!   Shared XAML for Windows
Phone, Surface, PC, XBOX360, iOS, Android and Sailfish would be cool.

Cheers,
Bob

bob at summerwill.net