[SailfishDevel] How do you evaluate the recent events of jolla

Fri Jul 17 08:37:51 UTC 2015

On 17.07.15 10:53, Chris Walker wrote:
> The reason they changed the name is that they knew that more companies
> would buy their software designs if it weren't tied to a hardware
> company.

Yes, there are some such examples and one would hope Jolla to be one more.

> So while the phone hardware side *may* die - I hope it doesn't - I see
> a strong future for the software side.

I do hope so. We'll have to judge the device business once it is
actually announced and more details are available.

But the software side needs to tread carefully. They can easily
compromise both businesses with their antics.

> As for targeting the BRICS countries, that seems a sensible choice.

Sure, I never said it wasn't.

> Why battle against Android in their own backyard?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Android is the clear #1 especially
in BRICS.

> Americans seem keener on something that was invented there.

I wouldn't use the word "invented" but… let's say Americans are keener
for tech they /think/ was invented there :). Anyway… Qualcomm chip and
assembly in Texas and that's it. "Made in the US of A". Americans will
eat it up. Software from the Nordics is just a plus.

--
Ville