[SailfishDevel] converting apps to/from UbuntuPhone

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 20:37:42 UTC 2015

Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:08:39 +0100 Alfonso Martone <alfonso.martone at gmail.com>:
> After browsing sources for a simple UbuntuPhone app (
> https://launchpad.net/dice-roller ) I was wondering if some
> awk/python/ruby script wizardry could convert UbuntuPhone pure QML apps
> to SailfishOS.
>
> Yes, Ubuntu.Components is different than Sailfish.Silica - including
> properties with different names, available resources, mainpage to be
> encapsulated in some "MainView" block, and so on.
Maybe it could be possible make use of the Universal Components[0] project,
which provides an unified API across different QtQuick component sets ?
It already supports QtQuick Controls and Sailfish Silica as backends and
Glacier
backend support is planned.

So if the Ubuntu components are so similar, it should be quite easy to add a
"Ubuntu Components" backend to Universal Components, making applications
using them run also on Ubuntu phones with a single UI codebase.

Actually there might be already something going on it this regard as
Mike Sheldon
(an Ubuntu Touch developer) managed to run modRana (which uses UC) on Ubuntu
Touch back in November[1]. I think he was using the Controls backend to
run it back then,
I'm not sure about the current status.

[0] https://github.com/M4rtinK/universal-components
[1] https://plus.google.com/wm/4/+MikeSheldon/posts/DRywpuHwXRj