[SailfishDevel] Error starting VM

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Sun Feb 22 19:40:46 UTC 2015

Just bumping this one last time to see if anyone else has shared this
problem and found a fix.

To recap, I'm using the latest SDK and the current "generic linux"
version of VirtualBox, and the "acceleration" pane in "system" in
Virtualbox is greyed out, so I cannot see any options there (someone
else suggested acceleration might be to blame).

The problem is in booting the emulator VM. It displays several boot
messages, the last of which is an error, then pauses there. I *can*
successfully SSH in but the runlevel is indeterminate, and things seem
to behave normally for a console linux session.

The messages displayed at VM boot are:

[    0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
systemd-fsck[62]: system: clean, 23245/262144 files, 244244/1048575 blocks
[   12.297269] piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.0: SMBus base address
uninitialized - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr

Any help that can be provided greatly appreciated. I'm using the latest
VirtualBox on 64-bit Debian and the latest SDK, so it seems strange that
it doesn't launch. I'm interested in Sailfish and strongly considering
buying a Jolla, but I wanted to play around in the SDK first..