[SailfishDevel] VirtualBox issue in the SDK on OS-X and how to solve

Martin Grimme martin.grimme at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 14:59:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

after having updated to VirtualBox 4.3.30 on OS-X, I found that I was
no longer able to start the SDK VMs in Qt Creator, and Qt Creator told
me

"No virtual machine with the name 'MerSDK' found. Check your installation."

This happens when you launch Qt Creator from the dock, and not from terminal.
In this case, /usr/local/bin is not in the PATH, and the VBoxManage
binary cannot be found.
To fix it, create a symlink as root in /usr/bin that points to
/usr/local/bin/VBoxManage.

# cd /usr/bin
# sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/VBoxManage

Apparently the VirtualBox tools have moved to /usr/local/bin recently.

Hope this helps some people who are experiencing the same problem,
Martin