[SailfishDevel] Other programming languages for developing Harbour apps.

Bob Summerwill bob at summerwill.net
Mon Aug 10 12:05:49 UTC 2015

A common technique for this sort of need on other mobile platforms is to
embed your 'unusual language' code within an 'approved language'
application and I assume that approach would be workable for Sailfish as
well.

Most likely to succeed are scenarios where you can compile to a static
library from your other language and just link against it.    That is the
approach which Xamarin used to get C# on iOS in what used to be a hugely
hostile environment.   They added AOT support so that they could generate a
monster .S file which could be added to a generated xcode workspace.   No
need for such trickery in liberal Android, where they just run as a JIT
VM.   That approach got onto PlayStation and XBOX too - notoriously closed
systems.

If all of your 'unusual language' can be contained with all system calls
happening in your 'approved language' code then there is no more risk of
breakage than for a normal native app.   The best way of proving that is
compiling to binary and static linking.