[SailfishDevel] Upcoming behavioural change with how graphics resources are handled.

martin.grimme at gmail.com martin.grimme at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 14:35:13 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Thu Oct 02 2014 08:56:53 GMT+0200 (CEST) schrieb Iosif Hamlatzis:
> Reading all these and previous similar changes I was wondering why other
> mobile platforms don't have this issue? If I'm not mistaken in no other
> mobile platform the developer has to take into account if his/her
> application goes into the background.

Well, that's a considerably low price you have to pay for multitasking. The other platforms don't support multitasking for apps, only for services, and thus developers don't need to care because  the app is acting dead / frozen / killed while not visible.

SailfishOS is different in this regard as it employs desktop-class multitasking and the apps are truly running side by side instead of simulating the impression more or less well. Therefore, apps shouldn't eat all RAM alone and should free unneeded resources where applicable. 1 GB of RAM is not that much.

Martin