[SailfishDevel] Upcoming behavioural change with how graphics resources are handled.

dcaliste at free.fr dcaliste at free.fr
Thu Oct 2 07:29:31 UTC 2014

Hello,

Selon Iosif Hamlatzis <i.hamlatzis at gmail.com>:
> Reading all these and previous similar changes I was wondering why other
> mobile platforms don't have this issue?
IMHO, there is a misunderstanding here, as far as I've understood, most of
applications don't have to take care of going to background and coming back.
When the application comes back, there is a repaint call() that is done
automatically, and the application redraws itself. The only corner case is when
the application supposes that the repaint call doesn't start with a clear()
call. For instance when the drawing operation is heavy and redraw is done only
by updating the buffer. In that case only the developer would have to redraw
from scratch when the application comes back from background.

It seems to me that holding the copy of the buffer before going to background is
indeed what the new way to do is trying to avoid, keep memory (a copy of the
full screen is costly) usage low when multitasking.

My two cents, hoping that I'm not wrong,

Damien.