[SailfishDevel] Jolla release plan for high level features - update10

Mohammed Hassan mohammed.hassan at jollamobile.com
Thu Nov 6 11:31:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 12:04:33PM +0200, Kaj-Michael Lang wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 10:38 +0200, Soumya Bijjal wrote:
> > start the work to update to GStreamer 1.x (latest upstream version
> > 1.4.3)
>
> Great! :) Does that mean gstreamer usage will be allowed in harbour apps
> when 1.x is used ? What about plugin(s) only packages, will harbour
> allow those ?

GStreamer is not yet being used by Sailfish OS.

It's been added to the repository and you can hopefully install it on the phone
but QtMultimedia has not been switched yet.

In fact, it doesn't yet have all the capabilities needed (Only playback of ogg works).

We have already all we need to enable HW accelerated encoding and playback as well as the
various audio encoders and decoders needed but we decided to take a step back and research
a better alternative in order to make the life of the various community ports for SailfishOS
easier. This is the main reason why we -at Jolla- did not enable video codecs yet.

However now you can watch the progress and I hope each update will have something new.

I cannot yet comment on allowing it in harbour -even though it's something I personally
would like to see-.

I know it sounds frustrating a bit but at least the work is progressing and you can
watch the progress. You can even contribute to it if you are interested as it's all
in github repositories.

Cheers,