[SailfishDevel] was "Acceptable Behaviour.." --> Forum

Denis Zalevskiy denis.zalevskiy at jollamobile.com
Tue May 27 07:09:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Tuesday 27 May 2014 08:17:52 Christopher Lamb wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am pleasantly surprised at the volume of traffic resulting from a
> thread that I innocently kicked of that the weekend. Thanks for the
> active and balanced discussion.
>
> I probably won't be able to take an active part in the IRC meeting this
> afternoon, as it is during the Swiss working day, so here is a summary
> of some key points from the thread so far.
>
> There is a strong wish to avoid fragmentation of channels: That implies
> that anything new should be instead of / integrated into / a refinement
> of an existing channel (e.g. TJC)
>
> We currently have the following meeting channels of some interest to
> developers, each with a different focus.
> 1) Together.Jolla.com (TJC): Q/A site mainly concerned on the phone +
> bugs and flames. So far no dedciated area for development issues.

just plain and simple:

https://together.jolla.com/questions/scope:all/sort:activity-desc/tags:app-development/page:1/

For people who are less familiar with q&a style it is possible to create a
separate top page on TJC in the forum style providing most frequent searches
as static subjects.

Some part of https://together.jolla.com/tags/

So, there can be smth. like Announcements, Releases, Bugs, Development etc.

> 2) Talk.Maemo.Org (TMO): A forum, strongly used by app developers and
> their users. Unlike other channels. this is Jolla independent.
> 3) This mailing list: used by developers to developers (both inside and
> outside Jolla).
> 4) IRC Chat. similar purpose to 3) above.
> 5) Other non-Sailfish-dedicated developer forums (StackOverflow, Qt
> Project etc.)
>
> We heard from both supporters of mailing lists and forums. The one side
> will probably never convince the other. I suspect that "I am used too…"
> and "personally I prefer …" are more important as anything else.

mailing list on the base of q&a forum on steroids:

> Both tools have their plus points and weakness. Here are main ones..
>
> Mailing lists (with the appropriate mail client) appeal to those who
> like the structure of tree views.
>
> There is a certain charm in the simplicity of mailing lists (KISS) which
> do not have all the extraneous functionality / bells and whistles /
> baggage / bullshit (you choose) that forum or Q&A sites do.
>
> Mailing lists do require a powerful properly configured mail client to
> be used properly. In a Forum you get that "for free" in a web client
> (but can't do much to customise it).
>
> Mailing lists aggregate communication in your mail client - avoiding the
> "yet another thing I need to visit .." syndrome.
>
> Forums allow editing of previous posts to correct typos / make
> clarifications.
>
> Forums typically have extra functionality: e.g."like", formatting,
> stickies, the dreaded karma…
>
> Privacy: Some forums use avatars, and allow you to suppress your
> personal email.
>
> Forums support sub-forums. At the moment we are talking about splitting
> the list into "development" and "other", but what happens when we want
> to split it further? (Jobs, C++, QML, Silica, OpenSource etc.).

sub-forums:

Devel->QML: https://together.jolla.com/questions/scope:all/sort:activity-desc/tags:app-development,qml/page:1/

Devel->Javascript:

https://together.jolla.com/questions/scope:all/sort:activity-desc/tags:app-development,javascript/page:1/