[SailfishDevel] Acceptable Behaviour Guidelines - you decide

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Sat May 24 19:19:48 UTC 2014

On Saturday 24 May 2014 21:30 Stefano Mosconi wrote:
> >> PS This thread is for generic guidelines - please keep any specific
> >> issues
> >> out of it.
> >
> > I think grievances about the community or Jolla should be allowed to a
> > certain degree. Non-relevant personal attacks and/or trolling should not
> > be allowed though.
>
> Hi,
>
> I believe that when there is something wrong (anywhere in the world)
> it's good to point that out and discuss it as much as possible. Only by
> analyzing what went wrong and how it could have gone better we (as human
> beings, community, companies) can improve.
>
> Discussing means (to me) trying to understand the facts, the emotions,
> and the assumptions on how it should have been and then find a way
> forward. Discussion implies an exchange of information (so it's not a "I
> talk when you are done talking" but a "I listen while you talk and then
> I will talk back on the same topic (but stay with me please)").
>
> Personal attacks or trolling are of course not constructive discussion
> and usually just because personal attacks and trolling are not a
> discussion at all (you need at least 2 to tango).

Goes without saying.

> > These things won't happen often - if they do there is something wrong that
> > should solved instead. Communication is vital for a community to survive.
>
> And when they happen they are halting the whole community for a long
> amount of time and focusing the eyes of the community on that.

The community gets halted even longer without proper communication, meanwhile
drying out a barely budding ecosystem - did that nature analogy go too far? ;)

>From the recent event - after reading endless emails, tweets, IRC logs etc. -
I can only deduct, based on what was revealed, that it was personal issues.
Still I don't think Jolla has handled it very well.
Let me give you an example of dealing with such matters. I am aware that you
don't have the resources to be as thorough, but you should - must - have the
resources to be as open (github may have their flaws, but non-disclosure
doesn't seem to be one of them):

https://github.com/blog/1826-follow-up-to-the-investigation-results

> I refrain from proposing (even without a Jolla hat) how I would
> generally handle trolling. I let you guys figure it out, it's a pretty
> well known problem with well known solutions tested for centuries.

As I am very new in this community I don't even know if this ml has a
moderator, but obviously there should be one. In general moderation should be
off, and only turned on when really needed.
In such situations it is not an easy and often not appreciated role to have.
It should preferably be a well-trusted and of course non-partisan community
member, but in a community with a commercial backing such a person is even
harder to find.

> As per the tools I think the tools are not so relevant as long as the
> community finds its way to discuss. Personally I don't love forums but
> that is only my preference, as I don't like pizza with pineapple.

I loathe both of them ;)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus