[SailfishDevel] Where did devel-su come from and what's its purpose?

Ove Kåven ovek at arcticnet.no
Wed May 14 00:01:12 UTC 2014

On 13. mai 2014 15:14, Mehdi El Gueddari wrote:
> Back in the Meego days, 'devel-su' would let you switch to, quite
> literally, a developer super user account, which had more privileges
> than a normal user but wasn't quite root (or at least it seems that way
> from the few user complaints I could find).

Well, not quite. Under Aegis, devel-su escalated your privileges to the
max, but did not actually change to another account. (You could set up a
developer account for interaction with the SDK, but it had no special
privileges.) Also, under Aegis, root didn't have any special
permissions, you were actually more privileged as a regular user than
you were as root. Thus, regular "su" was useless. You just needed
devel-su if you wanted to do stuff.