[SailfishDevel] prefered way to build rpm package for a project written in python/pyotherside?

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 21:58:31 UTC 2014

5.3.2014 22:13, Boris Pohler:
> Hi,
> I wrote my first little program using python/pyotherside. I develop
> directly on the jolla-device (no sdk) and would like to build a rpm
> package to distribute to openrepos (and later to harbour, if python is
> accepted). What is the prefered (easiest) way?
Well, I'm for example using OBS to build packages for my
Python/PyOtherSide based modRana application
(the modRana package available from OpenRepos since last week[2] was
build on the Mer OBS)
and the other possibility is the already mentioned rmbuild utility.

Both boil down to basically one thing - you need source code archive
(tarball) and metadata file (spec file).

For example, this is[3] my tarball & the (rather crazy) specfile for
building the modRana package.

As you can see, the specfile just has some metadata like application &
author name, version,
names of dependencies and listing of files and where they should end.

So basically what you can do is take a specfile (the modRana one or some
less crazy one), modify it
to describe your application and use it to build your own packages with
OBS or the rpmbuild utility.

With best wishes
Martin Kolman

PS.: Official documentation/support for building Python applications for
Sailfish would still be welcome. :)

[1]
https://build.merproject.org/package/show?package=harbour-modrana&project=home%3AMartinK%3Asailfish%3Amodrana
[2] https://openrepos.net/content/martink/modrana-0