[SailfishDevel] Acceptable Behaviour Guidelines - you decide

Stefano Mosconi stefano.mosconi at jolla.com
Wed Jun 4 13:22:38 UTC 2014

> My concern was that once the case arises (and IMHO 'doing something' was
> definitely an option) we can't just make up rules to fit the situation. People
> need to know in advance both what the guidelines are and what the response will be.

Agree with this.

>> However it is possible that as this community increases, and becomes less of a
>> small intimate family, then the need for moderation may grow.
>
> For subscribers I see moderation as a possible step (after a warning) to enforce
> civil behaviour. The downside is that assessing any messages is subjective and
> time-consuming.
>
> I think I'd go for a series of escalating short-duration bans: 1d, 2d, 1w,
> permanent ban (if someone is still ranting after a week long ban then nothing is
> going to stop them).
>
> Resubscription after that would be at the communities discression somehow.
>
> I personally don't think this should be just Jolla's call either. Whilst I
> expect sailors to be involved I can see a time when the community wants to have
> a rant at Jolla and it would be good for Jolla not to have a majority vote :)
>
> Who *does* get that say and how they're chosen I don't know. I certainly see it
> more as a rare but difficult chore than a power trip though.

I agree with Ville's position and would propose to put on next community meeting
a topic that more or less sounds like "Common common sense in this community".

Still what David Greaves pointed at at the beginning of this thread [1] still
makes a lot of (common) sense:

     Be considerate
     Be respectful
     Be collaborative
     Be pragmatic
     Support others in the community
     Get support from others in the community

> David
> PS if anyone suggests we elect a council for this I may just unsubscribe... ;)

Why don't we elect a... *cough* :D

Stefano

[1] http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct/