[SailfishDevel] sporadic bouts of "Could not connect to MerSDK Virtual Machine. Timeout waiting for reply from server."

Juha Kallioinen juha.kallioinen at jolla.com
Mon Jun 2 08:38:00 UTC 2014

On 28.04.2014 09:01, christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks.
>
> I found a well hidden {1} timeout setting in the preferences / devices
> and increased this from the default 2 secs to 10 secs. This does seem
> to help, but as always with sporadic problems only time will tell if
> this is a fix, or if the problem is just dormant for a while.
>
> What I don't understand is, given the error says "Could not connect to
>>> MerSDK Virtual Machine" why should a timeout for connecting to a
>>> Jolla device play any role?
>
> Is the error misleading? is the problem actually in connecting FROM
> the MerSDK to the Jolla?

Hi, I can't seem to reproduce these timeout problems when I'm testing
this. I've tried on Linux and Windows and a bit less on a Mac. I wish I
could, so I could debug this because I can't fix it if I can't reproduce it.

The error you get might be a bit misleading. The deploy operation does
currently go through the MerSDK machine:

Qt Creator -> ssh mersdk -> rsync to device (from mersdk) -> ssh to
device to install package (from mersdk)
Qt Creator -> ssh to device to run the app

So Qt Creator does not really know what happens inside MerSDK as it
requests the deploy operation and if a timeout happens at some point, it
will just look like a timeout connecting to MerSDK.

Can you describe in detail what happens when you get the timeout? Does
it timeout after 2 seconds or 10 seconds or a minute or two?

> Chris
>
> {1} when the preferences pane opens, at least on my OSX host the
> timeout setting is "offscreen" in an embedded pane with scroll bars in
> the middle of the preferences pane. Only if you scroll down in the
> embedded pane are further settings including the timeout revealed.
> Truly a wonderful bit of UI design 8-)

Yes, I noted that comment earlier and tried for a few minutes to
rearrange the view. Failed. It's in the "todo when all the fires are
out" - list.

Best regards,
  Juha