[SailfishDevel] Setting application screen orientation from C++

Robin Burchell robin.burchell at jolla.com
Thu Jul 31 11:46:46 UTC 2014

Den 31.07.14, 07.49 skrev "Iosif Hamlatzis" <i.hamlatzis at gmail.com<mailto:i.hamlatzis at gmail.com>>:
I had asked a while a go the same question regarding orientation when I started porting my SDL games and received the same answer that I should do the rotation translation my self and not only for rendering but for touch screen. Also the same question that it would be faster if I did the calculations instead of the system automatically.

You’re right, that doesn’t sound correct in today’s world. If there is a difference, I can’t imagine it’s a significant one: there’s still going to be a transform (whether it’s on your client application’s rendering) or when rendering the client texture in the compositor, after all.

In the past, though, it did make quite a lot of difference. X11 was a totally different beast to the graphics stack we had now, and it had much larger problems with things like performantly resizing and such.

Client side rotation does buy you some things, though: the capability to do more complex transitions and to customize the transition if you feel like it.

See for instance:
https://sailfishos.org/sailfish-silica/qml-sailfishsilica-page.html#defaultOrientationTransition-prop
https://sailfishos.org/sailfish-silica/qml-sailfishsilica-page.html#orientationTransitions-prop

So the answer: "Do it yourself because it's faster" has NO merit. IMHO either jolla doesn't have the skills or the man power to do it.

You’re right, we don’t. We attempted this shortly (~1-2 months) before shipping if I recall rightly, because I think that server-side transitions do make sense for a large number of cases (like SDL). Unfortunately, we ran into driver bugs that made it an impossible task at the time (given the time constraints we had), and due to a lack of time/resources we haven’t revisited the problem since then.

There’s an awful lot of work on our plate, and we really need to pick and choose what work we take on to give the largest slice of our user base the biggest «bang» for their buck. So far, this hasn’t been considered a priority. If you think it should be, then feel free to file a suggestion on together.jolla.com and try gather some interest for it.

It doesn't matter any more, for the company I work for we no longer consider porting our games to this platform, not in the near future. We tested it and given it an F (for fail)

It’s a shame to hear that. I hope that one day you’ll be able to reconsider.