[SailfishDevel] Qt 5.2 in devel

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 08:24:06 UTC 2014

> On the bright side, I¹m fairly confident that future upgrades will be less
> painful, as part of the pain was also on our side in that we rushed a few
> things to get to market last year, and we paid the price in doing that
> work properly.

I'd also say it's probable. Ubuntu had a similar huge
stabilizing/patching/backporting period with Qt 5.2.1 earlier for its
phone/tablet images, but everything was upstreamed to 5.3.0+. Now 5.3
has seemed great without too many patches and it was much easier
switch than to 5.2.1 (added with ~60 patches). But I wouldn't ever
consider doing two steps at once for a product that is in customers'
hands, and a heavily patched 5.2 will bring a lot of the benefits of
5.3 anyway.

My feeling is that the biggest growing pains for this kind of system
wide extensive Qt 5 usage are now resolved, thanks to efforts from all
parties involved. I hope 5.4 and onwards won't break anything big :)

-Timo

ps. I'm using this opportunity to thanks for Tahkalampi, awesome release!