[SailfishDevel] Different behavior when starting application from QtCreator or Launcher

Juha Kallioinen juha.kallioinen at jolla.com
Thu Jan 30 10:08:43 UTC 2014

On 30.01.2014 11:21, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> maybe someone may shed some light on this odd behavior:
>
> I have implemented an active cover in my train timetable application,
> where the action is enabled when a certain property in a C++ object (a
> string) has a length different from zero. This property is set by the
> application when loading data from a station.
>
> The odd thing is that this works correctly if I launch the application
> from qtcreator or fingerterm, but does not when starting it from the
> launcher.
>
> The only thing that may be different is that the application is
> invoked differently...
>
> Maybe it would help me to understand how the laucher invoker works...
> Can anybody give me some pointer on how it works?

Hi Luciano,

the way QtCreator launches an application is afaik not entirely correct
and will be addressed in a future SDK update.

To see how the application is lauched when it's started from the
homescreen icon, use fingerterm and find your application in the output
of 'ps faxw'.

If you then start your application from fingerterm as you see it with ps
command.. for example:

$ invoker --type=silica-qt5 --single-instance /usr/bin/yourapplication

The invoker parameters depend on what you have in your .desktop file,
which is not used when you start it from QtCreator.

Best regards,
  Juha