[SailfishDevel] Does /dev/urandom is strong enough to rely on it for crypto

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 08:35:01 UTC 2014

I don't think this is SailfishOS specific.
I am not a crypto expert, but the man page says that /dev/random is
the device you want to use.
/dev/urandom generates pseudorandom values when it gets out of entropy...

Just checked out this:
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/3936/is-a-rand-from-dev-urandom-secure-for-a-login-key

Apparently, /dev/urandom should be ok for use, but don't quote me about this.

Luciano

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Benoît HERVIER <khertan at khertan.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does /dev/urandom is strong enough to be used for cryptographic purpose on Sailfish OS ?
>
> Regards,
> Thx

Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams