[SailfishDevel] How to install user (controlled) data files for my app avoiding /usr/share

Wim de Vries wsvries at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 9 08:05:59 UTC 2014

Hi,
I am converting my aircraft navigation app to Sailfish.
It comes (default) with OpenStreet based maps + 3D data files of Western
Europe (in RPM).
Most users will use this map, but some users may use their home made
maps (generated by a PC application).
In the latter case, the users will delete this W-Europe map (it takes up
quite some disk space).
So far so good, but the installation/RPM is a problem:

Harbour says that I should install the app data (very much bytes for the
W-Eu map) in /usr/share/$NAME and in the first run of the app, copy them
to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/$NAME.
But  now I am stuck with an enormous amount of (useless) data in
/usr/share/$NAME that cannot be removed.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.