[SailfishDevel] Qt Creator Yaml file editor loses new entries

David Greaves david.greaves at jolla.com
Wed Jan 8 21:24:10 UTC 2014

The original intention was to offer a range of functionality to suite different
skill levels.

Essentially "the Qt way" is to use the .pro files to specify things like
myapp.files/myapp.path and INSTALLS += myapp. That should drive the Files:
section of the yaml. To avoid making experience Qt devs change how they did
things and invalidate the extensive Qt knowledge out on the web we decided not
to reinvent the wheel.

Even things like QT += particles should drive the Requires: and we have a
rudimentary qml import analyser which can also ensure Requires: for qml are
handled too.

The very few user-editable parts of the packaging for the yaml file that didn't
come from the .pro file would be presented in a form. That basic functionality
was developed but not really progressed. What we see at the moment is mainly a
few minor bugs in QtC's handling of the yaml

For more experienced users there would be direct access by right click on the
yaml - open in text editor (which is still there). That would support multi
package rpms etc.

Of course for more advanced stuff the spec file has areas which can be hand
edited. That supports %pre and %post (not applicable for harbour anyway but fine
for community apps) and other things like advanced builds for included libraries.

Finally you can always just use the plain spec file and do it all by hand.

Hope that helps with context and history

David