[SailfishDevel] Python and Qt Widgets development possible?

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Sun Feb 16 21:22:42 UTC 2014

Am 16.02.2014 18:18, schrieb christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch:
> http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2012/04/18/qt-5-c-and-qt-widgets/
When I have a look at the comments, then it seems that I'm not the only
one who's missing the non-QML API to QtQuick...
With a non-QML API QtQuick would be much more acceptable, but
it seems that the Qt folks are not interested in "old fashioned"
technology. They chose QML to compete against HTML5. At least this
was the situation two years ago when they were part of Nokia.
No idea, what the situation looks like now as the development
is not sponsored any more. Probably Digia is more interested in
the traditional Qt customers again.

>>> Sailfish is very far from being QML only.
>>>
>>> Sailfish like all other platforms based on Qt5.X supports a rich mix of
>>> C++, QML and Javascript.
Maemo etc. were platforms where you could use Qt for GUI.
But you're right - now we have Qt(Quick) as a platform. That's
an idea I don't like as it's just as restricted as the other mobile
platforms.

>>> The exact mix is up to you, and depends on your own experience,
>>> preferences and predilections, and of course on what you need to do.
So, with C++ instead of Python I could choose a mix with 0% QML and
0% Javascript?

>>> The death of Qt Widgets is nothing to with Sailfish, that is q Qt5.X
>>> thing.
Fortunately, for desktop use I chose wxWidgets/wxPython. This has also
the advantage of a better documentation.

Regards,

Dietmar