[SailfishDevel] dbus-sessionbus connection fails

Luca Donaggio donaggio at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 10:01:37 UTC 2014

I'm fighting with the same issue: starting your dbus-using daemon with
"systemctl-user start" does work (ie, you'll be able to connect to session
bus), but autostarting with "systemctl-user enable" doesn't work, while
making it a system daemon (plain "systemctl" command) works the other way
around: it doesn't acquire the session bus (even when starting as user
"nemo"), but it autostarts as expected!

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Dmitry <energycsdx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> You should run your daemon form user systemd unit.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User
>

> On 1 February 2014 21:53, Kimmo Lindholm <Kimmo.Lindholm at eke.fi> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> I’m using QtDBus in my daemon (systemd service), and I can register my
>> own service on systemBus, and also can connect to systembus signals.
>> When starting executable from command line it runs ok and connects also
>> to the sessionbus signals successfully.
>> but when it is started via systemctl start I can’t connect to sessionbus
>> signals.
>>
>> It throws following error:  “Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was
>> disabled at compile time, set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead”
>>
>> this is printed from code below:
>>
>>  if (!QDBusConnection::sessionBus().isConnected())
>>  {
>>     writeToLog(qPrintable(QDBusConnection
>> ::sessionBus().lastError().message()));
>>     exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
>>  }
>>
>> I figured out that DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS  is an environment variable
>> which obviously is not visible in this context.
>>
>> is there a way to pass this to the systemd service??
>>
>> regards,
>> Kimmo

Luca Donaggio