[SailfishDevel] (no subject)

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 01:18:52 UTC 2014

Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:07:18 +0100 David van rijn <davidvanrijn at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the feedback :)
>
> I had already looked a bit at the monav stuff because i had it on my
> N900, but like you said, it seems abandoned, so i didn't feel like
> using it.
>
> But the Mapbox GL definitely looks primising, i will have a look at it
> later.
>
> I did not know about the qml pinchmap.  I have tried out modrana
> though, and it seems a bit crude, because it's written in python, and
> i can imagine (correct me if i'm wrong) that implementing the whole
> element in qml is a bit recource-unfriendly if you compare it to the
> low-level c++ /updatePaintNode()/ method.
Well, I'm actually to this day kinda surprised how well it works,
considering how it is implemented. Most probably thanks to the original
clever idea the AGTL developer had of using a fixed tile grid and just
shifting the coordinates of the tiles in the grid when panning the map.
The QtQuick image cache then takes care of all the tile caching for you
and it works surprisingly well. On the other hand the hack[0][1] I had
to implement to enable really asynchronous tile download with caching is
just plain crazy, but works. :)

The QML-only nature of the widget also helps to avoid more C/C++
dependencies that unlike the pure-Python/QML based modRana would need to
be compiled for the various platforms where modRana is running and it
also makes it easier to adapt it to the various specific modRanas needs. :)

Still I would not mind adding support for an alternative map widget,
integrating it with the current one or maybe even using it by default if
fits to modRanas requirements better than the current solution. :)

> I think it would be really cool if it is possible to have all apps use
> the same maps, and have those be configurable somewhere central (like
> in the settings app).
Actually I've tried to propose a common map data storage location for
the Jollas micro SD card a while ago on this list[3] in a thread called
"[SailfishDevel] [RFC] Well known map data path" but it unfortunately
did not get any traction back then. So maybe the proposal can be
salvaged or even extended to cover map data sharing in internal storage ?

BTW, shared map data storage worked/works quite nicely on the N900 -
there is /home/user/MyDocs/.maps folder that various third part mapping
and navigation apps (modRana, Mappero, Maep, Cloud GPS, etc.) use for
storing & sharing map tiles. So it would be nice to have the same thing
also on the Jolla/Sailfish OS. :)

Actually, there already seem to be some early positive results from
users enabling tile sharing between modRana and Poor Maps[3]. :)

> cheers,
>
> David
Regards

Martin