[SailfishDevel] (no subject)

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 23:16:26 UTC 2014

Wed, 17 Dec 2014 16:04:31 +0100 David van rijn <davidvanrijn at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
Hi!

> I am writing a qml component to display a slippy map (eg. google maps).
> (You can look at the code at https://github.com/unsanded/harbour-mapp.)
>
> The idea is to be able to add maps in qml by just typing something like:
> SlippyMap{
>   GoogleMapsProvider{
>     apiKey: "blabla"
>   }
> }
> I have a few questions about this:
>
>    - Can it, at some point, become a library for others to use?
Could be certainly interesting and useful! :)

>    - What is the best way to implement offline maps/routing?
For offline routing the routino routing utility[0] currently looks like
the best bet for Sailfish.
I have already managed to build it's package for Sailfish[1] and it
appears to be working fine. :)

Another candidate could be the Monav[2] routing daemon, but it's
upstream is dead, it depends on Qt 4 and its source
code has been bit-rotting rather badly.

As for offline map rendering, the Mapbox GL native widget[3] looks like
the best bet, if it could be wrapped in a QML element! :)

I even suggested the QML integration to the Mapbox people, but they
unfortunately replied that they are not interested in doing that
themselves (most probably not to canobalize their iOS & Android SDKs
with a superio solution ;-) ).

>    - Is anyone eager to join the project?
>    - any other feedback?
Many current Sailfish OS applications are using the QML-only PinchMap
QML element, originally from AGTL, for example:
* modRana[4]
* FourSail[5]
On the other hand the Poor Maps application has a custom solution based
on enhanced QtLocation Map element.

So maybe have a look how these work and what features these applications
expect as inspiration work on your project. :)

> Cheers,
>
> David
Best Wishes
Martin Kolman