[SailfishDevel] SailfishOS as an OS/platform in Qt

Alejandro Exojo suy at badopi.org
Sun Dec 7 21:29:59 UTC 2014

El Sunday 07 December 2014, Luciano Montanaro escribió:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Alejandro Exojo <suy at badopi.org> wrote:
> > That's the opposite of what most people are trying to do.
> >
> > If the overhead is negligible, you may not care much of shipping all the
> > assets in one binary package, of which the user will only see a part, but
> > other applications might prefer to save some space if they contain many
> > assets.
>
> The problem is that this model does not scale. Now there is one device
> using SailfishOS, next June there will be two...
> Hopefully there will be more in one year.
>
> So you want to make one build for each model that will use SailfishOS
> in the future?

I did nowhere say that. I say that MAYBE you want to trim some assets if you
have OS specific assets (and you have a non-negligible gain). And for that you
need to know the OS you are building for. As I explained, other systems have
built in support in Qt for knowing the OS.

> I think Jolla hopes to license the OS to other vendors. If they
> succeed, optimization s targeted to single devices will not be
> practical.
>
> The best option is to build the asset in a scalable format (or ship it
> at high res) and then render it at install time...
> Like what has been proposed for the icon scaling.

Exactly what I said: "Other features like screen size, language, etc. Of
course you want to do it at runtime."

> > However, the main thing that motivated me to dig into the issue and send
> > the mail was libsailfishapp. That library is, AFAIK, only relevant on
> > Sailfish, and also requires one to add special code in main(). That
> > can't be done at runtime (well, you could do it I think, but you really
> > don't want to, given that you already have to set a special binary name,
> > for example, and it complicates things for no reason).
>
> Well, I think the easiest thing to do is do out-of source builds, and
> since the target configuration
>
> qmake -config sailfishos
> qmake -config blackberry

I don't follow you here. What's that qmake flag?

> Then if you want to have different assets, you can do this as well...
> But it makes no sense to ask for a generic way to do that.
> In the end, the Qt platform for sailfish os is indeed simply Linux, or
> if you want Linux+Wayland.
> The rest of the dependencies should be checked package for package:
> So on linux, check if there is libsailfishapp, and build the sailfish
> version. Check for... Mir, and build for Ubuntu.
> Or build for a desktop Linux if you do not find mobile specific libraries.

I also explained the problem with the tooling that a library check has. And
that is not only about the library.

But well, if so many people disagree, I'll just give up. Only one more thing
so I don't need to add more traffic to the mailing list:

I did not say that. You even quoted what I said. Read it again please. :)

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2