[SailfishDevel] Starting point for a Swype-like keyboard

Ruediger Gad r.c.g at gmx.de
Wed Apr 16 07:35:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am no real expert here but I used to look into Maliit some time ago:

Some pointers:
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=plasma-active-maliit.git
Specifically look at, e.g.,
active-keyboard/org/kde/active/keyboard/LandscapeVKB.qml

On the Jolla device itself: /usr/lib/maliit/plugins/jolla-keyboard.qml
(But they seem to do some "magic" for implementing a configurable keyboard.)

https://wiki.maliit.org/Plugin_Development_Quickstart

In the end, it seems that a keyboard plug-in, in a nutshell, is "just" a
QML Item (In the Maliit examples there seems to be even C++ sample
plugin code.).
So, all means for getting signals/events in QML should apply as well.
Furthermore, adding custom C++/QML types should be possible too.
Thus, you should be also able to use the "common" Qt functionality for
getting data about the input (e.g., as offered by a MouseArea etc.).

hth,

Ruediger

http://ruedigergad.com