[SailfishDevel] Warning: File `Makefile' has modification time 0.51 s in the future

christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch christopher.lamb at thurweb.ch
Tue Apr 15 06:07:38 UTC 2014

Hi Thomas

Earlier this year in addition to my normal day job I took over
responsibility for a server farm of over 50 servers both real and
virtual. Their clocks, system and hardware were all over the place.
This lead to strange knock on effects, like Samba not being able to
authenticate users via SSSD / LDAP.

In order to git the clocks under control again I was forced to find
out much more about clock-skew {1} and NTP then I cared for. As a
result I can be very boring on the subject. 8-)

While ntpdate is a valid pragmatic workaround, it remains a
workaround, as a properly configured ntp daemon should automatically
keep your system clock in sub millisecond sync. Be aware also that
NTDATE is deprecated {2}. Instead you should use ntpd -gq

However if the time is already "too far off" the NTD may never be able
to catch up (as normally it only makes small jumps {3), or even give
up altogether.

When I encountered a server with clock(s) "way off" I used the set of
commands below to get it back in line.

hwclock --show
date
service ntpd stop
ntpd -gq
hwclock --systohc --localtime
service ntpd start
hwclock --show
date

After that, if NTPD is properly configured, then NTP should be able to
keep the server's system clock in line.

HtH

Chris

{1} the root of all evil
{2} http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate
{3} by my measurements about 1.7 mins per day