[SailfishDevel] How to fully expand PullDownMenu programmatically or elsehow to use expandable menu items?

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 07:17:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Artem Marchenko
<artem.marchenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> *ComboBox inside the pulley menu*
> I am trying to have a language selection in a pulley menu. ComboBox seems to
> be ideal for this purpose, I add it into the PullDownMenu and everything
> works just great except that the user has to expand the menu fully for
> clicking on ComboBox, this item is not activatable during the pull.
>
> *Activation during the pull*
> Well, I want it to activate during the pull, so I wrapped it into a MenuItem
> and passed onClicked from MenuItem to inner ComboBox. That works fine if
> combobox has so many items that it launches a full page on click.
>
> So I tried preventing pulley from closing via cancelBounceBack() - doesn't
> look good, not the same as if user activates item manually.
>
> *How do I expand the pulley menu fully programmatically*
> - So how do I simulate the situation when user fully expands the pulley menu
> then?
> - Or is the whole idea wrong and [coming] UI guidelines are going to tell
> that only true single line MenuItems should be selectable during pull?

I don't know the answer to this question, sorry. But I would make the
language selector item pop up a dialog,
and maybe have the language code embedded in the menu item text as the
user selects it. On harmattan, comboboxes used dialogs (or something
very similar) anyway.

I don't know the details of your application, but unless it is a
translation tool...
Can't you use the system language?

Best regards,
Luciano

> Best regards,
> Artem.
>
> --
> Artem Marchenko
> http://agilesoftwaredevelopment.com
> http://twitter.com/AgileArtem

Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams