[SailfishDevel] Update on application naming for Harbour applications

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Sat Nov 30 00:31:35 UTC 2013

On Friday 22 November 2013 14:32 Robin Burchell wrote:
> Ahoy,
>
> In Iekku’s mail yesterday, we referred to application names needing to use a
> “dotted” form (e.g. com.example.myapp). It was brought to our attention
> that this isn’t factually possible at this time due to limitations in Qt
> Creator/qmake, so we’re unfortunately forced due to time limitations - so
> as to not inconvenience you developers - to change plans.
>
> The new requirement is that application names must start with a prefix of
> “harbour-“.
>
> The reason (if it wasn’t clear) for this requirement is so that applications
> do not clash with other installed packages on the device.
>
> We’re very sorry for the confusion. Thanks for understanding. Should you
> have any questions on this or anything else, feel free to send an e-mail as
> always!

I'm a bit late to read this thread, and while I understand it's an
inconvenience that you can't *create* a project using the dotted notation
form, it is possible to change the project afterwards, so why not for a short
period allow both naming schemes?
The dotted notation form has several advantages over the harbour- prefix;
avoiding name clashing as the most important.

It's not like it's thousands of submitted apps that will either have to be
maintained with the harbour- prefix, or go through a relatively easy
transition once the SDK has been updated.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus