[SailfishDevel] Jolla Harbour and Jolla Store

Michal Jerz info at my-jolla.com
Thu Nov 7 21:42:00 UTC 2013

Attila wrote:

> In the context of "Will you support DRM? No" in your FAQ, and
> having an open, hackable device environment, please do elaborate.
> I sincerely hope that Jolla has learned from the Aegis experience
> and general "success" of copy-protection schemes on other
> platforms.

When asking the question which Ronni replied to, I didn't actually mean any
sophisticated DRM.  I would just want to finally BE ABLE to use just about
ANY kind of copy protection in my applications.  It's true that there is no
100% proof copy protection on any platform, but on small platforms like
Harmattan or Sailfish even REDUCING piracy or DELAYING the moment when an
application gets cracked and released is worth the hassle. As I wrote
earlier, even if 80% of copies on Android or iOS are 'illegal', due to
enormously big user base it still leaves tens of thousands of legit sales
providing a decent revenue.  The same piracy ratio (say 80%) on a
platform like Harmattan of Sailfish with tiny user base would mean that you
could
only sell like..... A HUNDRED of copies of an application, making the
whole business completely pointless.

So it's like with door locks. Despite none of them being 100% proof to
unauthorized opening, somehow people continue to use them in their doors
rather than just having doors without any locks only because they're not
100% secure. They at least REDUCE abuse.

It would be bad if copy-protection was ENFORCED by the store. It should be
every publisher's free choice to use it or not.  For me, the best solution
would be if I was simply provided every customer's IMEI number and in such
case I could take care about the whole rest myself.

Michal