[SailfishDevel] Jolla Harbour and Jolla Store

Attila Csipa qt at csipa.in.rs
Wed Nov 6 21:26:58 UTC 2013

On 06-Nov-13 13:05, Roberto Colistete Jr. wrote:
> - current (2013) smartphones are fast (dual or quad core @ > 1,0 GHz,
> fast flash memory, etc), equivalent to low cost net/notebooks some years
> ago, so it is not a problem to have repositories with thousands of
> packages;

Luckily we all live in the world where everyone has (the equivalent of)
Nexus 5+ hardware and a free and steady LTE connection. Not. And yes
it's a problem. How bad is it? Well, for one, the updates are
polling-based (did you say 2013?). You're wasting hundreds of megabytes
of flash space for things you have no use for (effectively, you cannot
update once you run out of space, and as the app catalog grows, your
free space will be going down even if you don't touch anything). You're
wasting battery life (those zippy CPUs are like a race-car engine, press
on the pedal and watch your tank dry!). I did a test with a clocked-up
N900 back in the day (comparison to "big" Ubuntu in a 100K app
scenario), and it was pretty defeating (far more than just "add a core
and double the clock, and it's going to be fine").

Best regards,
Attila