[SailfishDevel] File chooser

Artem Marchenko artem.marchenko at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 17:09:35 UTC 2013

Guys, my main motivation [mostly] for total file choosing consistency and
[less] against exposing file system is fear.

Fear of Android-like hell of "in which directory that file was? Or was it
in some app-specific source? Or app specific source, but I saved a copy to
Downloads? Or to Downloads on SD card? And why can't I just see all my
recent photos together somewhere?"

iOS has one way of dealing with these issues, I don't mind if Jolla chooses
another one, but IMHO there has to be some consistent and hard UX
guildelines. I know sailors are busy finalizing the device, but UI might be
even more important than engineering peculiarities int the longer run.

Somebody at Jolla should just sit and go through several reference cases
such as photo editor, pdf viewer, manga book reader (where a book is a
folder full of images and texts) and tell how the user should open files +
2 important sub-cases with data coming on SD card or downloaded from web.

Cheers,
Artem.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Marcin M. <marmistrzmar at gmail.com> wrote:

> As Roberto said: don't take Android and iOS as a reference point. I simply
> don't want just another borked & crappy UX! Maemo Fremantle was nice at
> filepicking, though the build-in file picker had no option of displaying
> the whole FS. Harmattan was a step back, as most apps store there files in
> mysterious or dumb place (some downloads go to .downloads, some to
> Downloads, and the documents are stored in /home/user). Please, don't make
> Sailfish "two steps forward, one hundred steps back" by making it an
> Android/iOS clone.
>
> The gallery might be usable at times, but nothing can replace a normal
> file picker. Tabs would work great here: one for normal picking, 2nd for
> the gallery.
>

> --
> Marcin
>

> 2013/11/4 Martin Kolman <martin.kolman at gmail.com>

>>>     Please, Sailfish community, don't take Android, iOS and other dumbed
>>> down mobile OS as examples. These mobile OS limit the freedom of the users,
>>> as well as developers : fake multi-tasking, restricted file system access,
>>> no dependencies, etc. For example, Ubuntu Touch 13.10 has more limitations
>>> than Android, because Canonical takes Android and iOS as models to copy
>>> many features. Please, Sailfish community, continue to take the examples
>>> from Maemo, MeeGo Harmattan and Nemo Mobile.
>>> SailfishOS.org Devel mailing list
>>>
>> +1

Artem Marchenko
http://agilesoftwaredevelopment.com