[SailfishDevel] File chooser

Chris Walker cdw_nokiaqt at the-walker-household.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 11:11:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:28:29 +0100
Martin Kolman <martin.kolman at gmail.com> wrote:

> 4.11.2013 02:10, Artem Marchenko:
> > I'd appreciate some UI guidelines voice from Jolla here (I can
> > understands they might have not thought of this use case before,
> > well, it's time for it then :)).

> But on the other hand, some applications just won't do without a
> standard file-chooser, like a text editor, offline comic book reader,
> an image editor. At least without getting and putting the files on a
> global file heap, making finding stuff difficult.

Why not implement the filing system as a database? When a new file is
created/downloaded then the database is updated. The difficulty arises
with things like SD cards.

When an application wants to load a file, it interrogates the database
to find it's location, with the MIME type dictating which app *should*
load it.

> Of course a lot can be done with tags and semantic stuff (where did
> the file come from, what app made it),

Wouldn't the MIME type take care of that, in the way a server does?