[SailfishDevel] App feedback / showcase / examples

Matt Austin mail at mattaustin.me.uk
Sun May 19 06:50:12 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I just completed my initial porting of "Perth Trains" over to Sailfish
Silica [https://github.com/mattaustin/fremantleline/tree/development].

The application is not very mature, but is split in to an 'api' and a 'ui'.
I am very aware that the entire project could do with a lot more
improvement, and although I can easily recognise plenty of improvements to
be made in my python/'api' side of the code, I'm much more uncertain/unsure
of the pyside/qml aspects.

I would welcome any criticism/feedback if anyone has the time to spare -
but more importantly I was wondering if there are any particular resources
or lists of community/open source Sailfish apps which I can take a look at?
gPodder is a great and obvious example, and there is also the short app
list on the Mer wiki [https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Sailfish] - but is
there any kind of 'announcement' list/forum I can follow which I haven't
yet discovered? I always like taking a look at how other developers have
tackled things.

One issue I have in particular, is that the app freezes as the departure
information for the chosen station is scraped from the website. What would
be the suggested way to tackle this? Do I need to jump in to playing with
python threading, or is there something I can do on the qml side of things
to show a 'loading' indicator? My previous attempts at showing a qml Item
before updating the departurelist model didn't have any effect.

Looking forward to tomorrow's announcement!

Regards,

--
Matt