[SailfishDevel] QML support of Multitouch

Seppo Tiainen seppo.tiainen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 08:48:15 UTC 2013

What I have been missing most in QML is multitouch support. Only Qt 5.0 has
QML MultiPointTouchArea but Sailfish is using Qt 4.8. In Harmattan, I was
able to read multiple touch points by Lauri Jääskeläinen's QmlMultiTouch
code (
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Blogs/blog/lauri-jaaskelas-forum-nokia-blog/2011/02/03/raw-multitouch-pointer-events-in-qml)
where a new class (TouchApplicationViewer) is inherited from
QmlApplicationViewer, and viewportEvent(QEvent*) method is reimplemented.
The code also implements a class MultiTouch which exposes a list of touch
points to QML.

Now that I'm planning to port my app from Harmattan to Sailfish I'm having
problems dealing with view and installing multitouch in main.cpp of
Sailfish/Silica. Any ideas how to do that? Or, would it be possible to have
a TouchArea library or plugin for Sailfish QtCreator (next update)? I think
being able to easily deal with multiple touch points in QML is one of the
key features needed while developing interesting Qt apps for modern
smartphones. A sample code for main.cpp or Sailfish QtCreator lib
upgrade/plugin would be great!

- tiptyper