[SailfishDevel] Menus in Long ListViews

Ruediger Gad r.c.g at gmx.de
Sat Mar 2 10:29:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

how would I realize the general menu in a long ListView?
As far as I understand, pull down/push up menus only work at the very
top/bottom of a list?

This could become tedious in some circumstances.
E.g., imagine a contacts list with 100+ entries.
Having to scroll to the very top/bottom just to add a new entry may
become cumbersome.

Just had a brainstorm with fk_lx on irc about this:
One possible solution could be to place the ListView inside a Flickable,
with a little "empty space" attached to the top/bottom of the ListView,
and add the menus to the Flickable.
But I don't know if that conflicts with other gestures that are
triggered when swiping from the top or bottom edge of the screen.

Another option could be to have such a general "add" functionality
accessible in the context menu that is displayed for every item in the list.
However, depending on the use case, this (having a general action in a
specific context menu) may be counter intuitive or misleading.

Best regards,

Ruediger

--
http://ruedigergad.com