[SailfishDevel] Howto: Sailfish SDK in Virtual Machines on Mac OS-X

David Greaves david.greaves at jollamobile.com
Thu Feb 28 15:24:54 UTC 2013

> On 1/03/13 12:02 AM, Martin Grimme wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to share my setup of how I managed to run the Sailfish
>> SDK on Mac OS-X. While you could of course run the SDK virtual machine
>> inside a Linux virtual machine, this would be terribly slow.
>> Instead, you want to run all three virtual machines, Linux, MerSDK,
>> SailfishOS Emulator directly on Mac OS.

This is a great writeup Martin - thanks for putting the energy in!

On 28/02/13 14:55, Nathan wrote:
> Thank-you sir!
>
> N.B.
> I hope the official SDK for OSX/Win is still coming by the end of Feb, as
> promised by Jolla.

It's certainly coming.

The alpha SDK, released on 25th Feb, offers a pre-packaged installer for Linux.

The beta release will include OS-X and Windows installers - the schedule has not
been announced yet but it won't be today :)

Incidentally the source code for the native aspect of the SDK (ie Qt Creator) is
available and you can build and contribute to the open version of that for OS-X
or Windows today. (nb: by 'open version' I just mean unbranded) Once that is
running you should have no problems using the VDI files you find in the installer.

Incidentally, due to the EULA restrictions, you should extract the VDI files
yourself and not share them.

I'll see what we can do about making the images available in a more
click-through way but most of my energy is going into beta now so no promises or
dates.

David